14/6/16 - New ENEMY video:
9/5/16 - Track from Vyamanikal (out 23rd May on Slip Imprint)
16/3/16 - Vortex mini-residency
- ENEMY play two nights at the Vortex on the 31st March and 1st April. We will feature some special guests - come along
9/3/16 - 'Vyamanikal' release, gigs and others
- Myself and Tom Challenger's new album 'Vyamanikal' - recorded in various Suffolk churches - will be released in June on the Slip Imprint label. We have concerts at Aldeburgh Festival, Manchester Jazz Festival and Cafe Oto to celebrate.
- I'm currently recording with Josienne Clarke for her new album, released in Autumn on Rough Trade.
- Just finished a duo recording with Lewis Wright. We recorded for two days at Angel Studios - Lewis wrote some great music for it.
- Jeff Williams' new album comes out this week - 'Outlier', gigs next week up north to celebrate. Info here
- 'ENEMY' will tour UK and Europe in October, and will also record an album, for release in 2017.
- This year at Cheltenham I am taking part in an instillation called 'Dinner Games' - designed by myself and Sarah Nicholls. More info here
- Here's a picture of the great 'Thamar Organ' in Framlingham:
2/1/16 - New Years Resolutions
- Last year was fun - some highlights were recording my first album for ECM, joining Squarepusher's new band 'Shobaleader One', co-curating the Sud Tirol Jazz Festival (with Ruth Goller - whom I got married to this year!), touring Europe US and Canada with Troyka, Japan and India with Thomas Strønen and the UK with Julian Arguelles, as well as releasing my own album 'Tricko', and recording the new Wedding Music album with Tom Challenger (with Aldeburgh Music Residencies).
Next year has some exciting things ahead too. 'Enemy' will be joined by Chris Montague for some gigs in January, March and October - and will record at some point. Me and Tom will release our second organ/saxophone record 'Vyamanikal', with gigs at Cologne Philharmonie, Aldeburgh Festival and Manchester Jazz Festival. I have joined Berlin-based band 'Killing Popes' (Oli Stiedle and Petter Eldh), and will be touring with them, as well as helping to curate an instillation at Cheltenham Jazz Festival. I will also continue touring with Squarepusher, Julian Arguelles and Thomas Strønen, and play on folk singer Josienne Clarke's new album.
27/9/15 - Thomas Strønen's new album for ECM
- My first album for ECM - very exciting!
11/6/15 - Album Launch and Enemy Tour
- *New Album available at Coup Perdu Records*
- after a week playing with The Enemy (Petter Eldh and James Maddren) we played a double bill with 'Tricko' for my new album launch at Kings Place. The Guardian reviewed it
6/4/15 - Live recording/Wedding Music in Suffolk
- you can hear s|html:soundcloud|ome live extracts from the recording of me and Lucy Railton's residency at Dean Clough, Halifax here:
A massive thank you to Vic Allen for organising it, and Alex Killpartrick for recording it. We had a blast - rummaging through underground tunnels, recording Lucy in 200 foot high chimneys and abandoned mills - and working on a lovely Fazioli.
- Myself and Tom Challenger were also in residence at Aldeburgh Music last month, recording on local pipe organs (all in various states of disrepair) - exaggerating their eccentricities, and incorporating field recordings and extended techniques with long drones and tones. Much fun, thanks to Alex Bonney for recording it, Ashley Pegg for filming it, and Aldeburgh Music for organising it. We will do more in May. hear me improvising on one of these broken beasts here:
23/2/15 - Tricko Residency at Dean Clough
- Myself and Lucy Railton have been invited by Vic Allen at Dean Clough Arts in Halifax, to attend a week long residency in March, with the idea writing a completely new set of music (inspired by the acoustics and aesthetics of Dean Clough) to be performed at Dean Clough on the 13th March. The gig will be recorded live, and copies of the recording will be given to the audience that attend the concert. It will be a great opportunity for me and Lucy to work on some new material, ahead of our new album coming out on Coup Perdu in June.
- More info about the residency here!
- Also here is the artwork for the new album:
14/12/14 - The Enemy, live recording
- I'm looking forward to a new year, full of new music. My new album 'Tricko' (myself, Lucy Railton) will be released on 'Coup Perdu' in May, on CD and Vinyl. We will also be doing a residency in March at 'Dean Clough Arts' (Halifax), writing a new set of music with a one-off performance.
- I also have a UK tour in June with a new piano trio (myself, James Maddren on drums and Petter Eldh on double bass) - called 'The Enemy' - listen to a sample here
- Troyka will also be touring February through to June in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, US and Canada for our new album in February through to June (samples are up on the page).
- Wedding Music will continue it's residency with Aldeburgh Music.
- I have also started teaching at The Purcell School of Music since September this year, which has been very rewarding and challenging in all the right ways. I look forward to more in the new year.
- I also have to start writing a whole new set of music for the concert organ in Cologne Philharmonie.
- After a really fun tour of Ireland with Cormac O'Brien (where I met some amazing musicians), I travelled to Frankfurt again to guest with the HR Big Band, alongside the ace Julian Arguelles, and then recorded some more with Benny Greb in Hamburg.
- I was very happy to be asked to guest with amazing folk singer Josienne Clarke for her album launch at the Purcell Room. I met some amazing musicians on that night, and it was a real treat to discover some new really exciting artists from a scene I don't know a lot about.
- I am now looking forward to getting mine and Lucy Railton's new piano/cello duet EP called 'Tricko' out into the world - we have some gigs coming up in the UK and Germany to celebrate this (see gigs page). One of these gigs is in Cologne where we have been invited by our friends in the Klaeng Kollective to play in their festival.
- Other news is that the Troyka album is finished (thanks to the magic Mr Petter Eldh who has produced it), and we have a tour next February/March.
- The piece that I was commissioned to write for the NJYO Big Band will be premiered in the London Jazz Festival this year.
- Me and Tom just found out that 'Wedding Music' will be part of Aldeburgh Music's 'Open Space' Residency programme this year - where we will travel round churches in Suffolk making music on all the different organs.
- I have been asked to arrange some of my Tricko music for the cello trio 'Tre Voci' for a concert at the Union Chapel in November, and after that will be recording with Thomas Strønen's new group for ECM in December.
- There will also be some exciting collaborations before the end of the year with Petter Vågan in Trondheim and Kammer Klang at Cafe Oto.
Also, here is a picture of where I went on holiday with my Dad (taken from a helicopter in Canada!) -
13/8/14 - Irish Tour with Cormac O'Brien
5/8/14 - 'Tricko' EP Recording finished
- Troyka managed to win itself an award for the big band album - the Parliamentary Jazz Award - see here
- Tricko had a nice gig at this years Cheltenham Jazz Festival with our guest Julian Arguelles.
- Trip to Berlin to see genius Petter Eldh, talking mixes and recorded a bit. Then a few gigs with Robert Landfermann in Cologne, Benny Greb in Hamburg and a gig with Thomas Strønen in Munich, which was all great fun.
- 'Wedding Music' played at this years 'London Contemporary Music Festival' opposite Supersilent and Peter Zinovieff. Hats off to Lucy Railton and co for organising such a forward thinking festival, there is a review here
- I hosted another Resonance FM radio show
- Worked for a week with French musicians Sylvain Darrifourqc and Julien Desprez for Sylvain's new band 'In Bed With' in Paris, followed by our first concert at Le Triton.
2/5/14 - Video by Ashley Pegg (on Trickotareco)
30/4/14 - More recording with Tricko:
More recording with Lucy Railton and Alex Killpartrick in St George's in East church in East London. Slowly getting together an album - fruits of our labour will be on soundcloud soon.
22/4/14 - 'Motif' plus 'Tricko' in Norway and UK:
An exciting collaborative project coming up - Tricko and Norwegian bassist Ole Morgen Vagan's (Thomas Stronen, Nils Petter Molvaer, Joshua Redman) band 'Motif' are organising a double-bill tour of both the UK and Norway this year with their bands. They will be playing in Trondheim, Oslo, Bergen, Birmingham, London and Brighton.
1/4/14 - 'Wedding Music' perform at the Royal Festival Hall
Me and Tom played at the opening festival of the newly refurbished Royal Festival Hall organ - an amazing instrument - music from our album 'Wedding Music' - see 'Other Projects'.